Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Sunday, May 23, 2004

WSOP and the Run-In to Finals

Well, the main event of the World Series of Poker (WSOP) Started Yesterday. A massive 2600 participants each paying $10,000 to enter. This means a humungous $5 million first prize, with all of the top five finishers each getting over $1 million with about 200 places paid in total.



Last year's winner - Chris Moneymaker, an amature who turned a $39 entry fee for an on-line qualifier into $2.5 million - was elliminated very early on, much to the delight of many of big-timers who feel that the large number of internet qualifiers (about 800 this year) is turning the main event into something of a lottery.

There are a couple of good web-sites with regular updates, video clips and photos of the main event: The Gut-Shot Poker Collective and Poker Pages are both manging to usurp far too much of my precious revision time.

Speaking of which, my exams start two weeks tomorrow and in the last two weeks since I started blogging I seem to have done very little work. However, I started working semi-properly on Friday and I think my attitude towards it all is better now. I'm not worried, which is both good and bad, but I am certainly more motivated. I think if I work really solidly for the next two weeks, I still could pull off a 2:1, so we'll see what happens. My finacee is in the middle of her exams at the moment and finishes on Thursday. I'm very envious. My other two housemates both finish well before I do, so it's gonna be pretty hard to stay focused. I'm think I'm just going to have to live in the library until it's all over!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home