Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Nearly there.........

Just a quicky, in between revision topics......

All the rest of my housemates have finished, and still 5 days left til the little critters start, but only 10 till they finish! I went to meet my house-mate, Phil, out of his final exam yesterday and found it very hard to be even a little bit cheery.

Since my last post, the WSOP has been won by another online qualifier, Greg "Fossil-man" Raymer.



Matt Hilger (from Internet Texas Holdem and Author of a great poker book by the same name) also won his entry online, managed to finish an imprssive 33rd and netted himself a cool $80,000 for his efforts. Four of the nine who made the final table were online qualifiers from 'Poker Stars'. Not only does this reinforce the fact that the play at Stars is exceptionally good, but it also shows just how much some 'live-game' only proffessionals need to wake up to the fact that there are some seriously good online players. It's also important to realise the extent to which playing online can improve your play (compared to live-only play). The ammount of poker that can be played in a give time period online is probably 3 or 4 times that which could be played in a bricks-and-mortar card room (and that's excluding the possiblity of playing multiple online tables). Furthermore, online players have to make all their decisions based on betting patterns alone - there is no scope for reading the body language of your opponent. So when an online player finds himself in a live game, he has that much more information available to him on which to base his decsion. Of-course, the internet-only player must consider that he is not used to hiding his own 'tells', but I beleive this can be overcome with only a small ammount of live practice. I'll be able to test this out after finals as I'm planning multiple trips to The Gut-Shot, a new cardroom, which has recently opened up in London.

My finacee pointed out to me that if I did end up playing poker for a living (ignoring the fact that that's pie-in-the-sky) that I better not end up fat and ugly like 'all the other proffesional players' and from the photos of the last two WSOP winners (see previous entry), I'm inclined to agree with her generalization!

Hmm, so much for making this a quicky!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home