Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Chasing the Elusive Cigar

Thursday night, 7:30pm British Summer Time: Betfair's qualifyer for the Asian Poker Tour. With an extra $8K package added by Betfair, this was a pretty juicy qualifier.

58 people put up $250 which, along with Betfair's $8K contribution, provided two seats and $3K, $2K, $1K for 3rd, 4th and 5th place respectively.

I had a good feeling about this tournament. I coasted along picking up enough pots to keep up with the average chip-stack. Just before the final two tables I doubled up to put me in the top 3 or 4 where I manged to stay right through to the final table.

We lost our first casualty at the final table but remained 9 handed for what seemed like a life-time. It was made to feel even longer when I lost a huge pot with AK against JJ and found myself as the smallest stack by a long way. However, a fortuitous double up and the splitting of a pot when I ran my AJ into someone's AK and I was right back in it.

The remainder of the players were dropping like flies and I didn't really have time to notice the bubble bursting: I was garunteed at least $1,000. Then before I knew it another player had busted and I had picked up AQ in the small blind - a great 4-way hand. The button raised it and I came over the top. he quickly called and I buried my face in my hands when his AK was flipped over. A pair on the flop gave me the slightest of hopes, but it was not to be and I finished in 4th place only two spots away from an all expenses paid trip to Singapour and a $5K entry into the Betfair Asian Poker Tour. The $2,000 I got for 4th place was a sizable consolation, but I was gutted not to have walked away with the big prize.

No fucking cigars here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home