Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Back on Track

Things have started to go my way on the internet over the last couple of weeks. I mentioned a couple of post ago that in order to rebuild my bankroll I had been playing mostly low stakes no-limit tables and some SNGs. After a few consecutive days of good cards things were looking up and I managed almost to double what I had in my party poker account. By that point I had just about enough to be able to start playing at the $2/4 limit tables and after a decent break from limit poker it was fun to get back to it.

I decided to try out the relatively new "Bad Beat Jackpot" tables at Party Poker - they have limits from $2/4 up to $15/30. Party have recently introduced these tables and they seem to be proving very popular with the fishies! Essentially, Party Poker take extra rake (a percentage of each pot - usually 5% up to a fixed maximum depending of the stakes of the table) from each pot and add this to the ever increasing "Bad Beat Jackpot" untill someone hits it. To qualify for the jackpot a hand better then Four-of-a-kind 8s must be beaten. The looser of the hand get half of the jackpot, the winner gets one quarter of the jackpot and the rest of the jackpot is shared around the rest of the people sat at that particular table. Quad 8's is beaten so very rarely that the jackpot can get huge - I think the last one was around the $200,000 region; on the other hand, there are so many people playing on Party Poker at any one time that the jackpot is hit around about once a week. This frequency combined with the vast ammount of $$$ up for grabs means that the fish turn out in massive shoals!! Initially I was a bit concered that the play wouldn't be sufficiently bad to compensate for the extra rake that I'd be paying, but I soon stopped worrying about that! The vast majority of players there just seem to be mesmorised by the ever increasing jackpot displayed at the bottom of the screen and all my good hands were getting paid off.

I was sure that sooner or laster the bad beats would catch up with me but for the time being I just kept stacking up the $$$.

In the meantime I decided to open an accoun on Empire poker. I'd never got round to it before and it meant I could take advantage of a $100 bonus for joining and also get a free copy of Matt Hilger's Book ("Internet Texas Holdem"). I worked off this bonus in a couple of days and set about re-reading Matt's book.

After a brief spell on Empire, I just had to get back to Party's Bad Beat Tables! This time with a slightly sweeled bankroll I thought I'd see how I got on at the $3/6 tables. Low and behold, the fish were still there when I returned and so were the easy $$$. In one 4 hour weekend session playing 3 tables I netted about 50 big bets.

I absolutely dont mean to be boasting, I'm just expressing a huge ammount of surprise at how soft these games seem. I feel like my game has improved over the summer but I really dont think that can account for all this extra winning. I'm still waiting for a huge reversal of fortunes - over the whole of the last few weeks, I've had only one (very small) loosing session. In a way it would be much more reassuring if I were to loose a bit, then I wouldn't feel so much as if everything is about to come crashing down around me!

When I first got back up to 3/6 having had such a nightmare at the beggining of the summer when I moved up prematurely from 3/6 to 5/10 I promised myself that I'd stick with 3/6 far longer than any recommenndations for bankroll management that I'd read just so the same thing didn't happen again.

Well even the best laid plans... etc.. etc.

So yesterday I decided to move up from $3/6 to $5/10. I'm sory - I just coundn't resist! My bankroll had raced past where it was at the begining of the summer and from a couple of hours of dabbling the starndard at the 5/10 bad beat tables seemed only marginally better than at 3/6.

Well, after about 10 hours of play at 5/10 I'm up about 50 big bets, which is pretty crazy. I made my first withdrawal yeasterday and stuck it in the 'Honeymoon' account and with any luck I should soon be able to withdraw all of my initial investement.

Appologies for my egotistical rantings, I just hope I haven't sealed my fate!

I'll kep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home