Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Friday, October 08, 2004

Time to step back and take stock

Things have been getting a bit out of hand recently. I've been winning big over the last 6 weeks: I've worked my way up from 2/4 to 15/30 and my bankroll had grown 10 fold.

It's somewhat remeniscent of what happened at the beggining of the summer when over a couple of months I worked my way from $0.50/1.00 up to $5/10. I thought I was invincble and that my path to becoming a world class poker player was both inevitable and well under way.

On that occasion it took everything to fall from around me to alert me to the fact that none of the above is true. Thankfully on this occasion I realised that things were being to run away from me before something nasty happened.

I had been posting some 15/30 hand examples on the Internet Texas Holdem (ITH) Forum. I knew that my river play had been letting me down so I posted 6 seperate river decisions (eg1, eg2, eg3, eg4, eg5, eg6) to get some feed back on them. Well my plays got (very politely) ripped to shreds, which left me feeling pretty shitty (but at least not broke!).

After sitting around and moping for a while I posted a thread about how everyone on the forum must think I'm a total jack-ass for playing such high stakes and still being capable of making really basic erros. The responses I got were extreemly supportive and helpful and I decided to take a step back and try to consolidate my play.

So... I've cashed out a large propotion of my bankroll (whoohoo - the honeymoon account is looking pretty healthy!) and I've now dropped back down to $5/10. I'm going to play for a decent while at this level, post a lot of hand examples on the forum and gradually work my way back up to 15/30 again.

That's the plan anyhows!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home