Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Saturday, January 08, 2005

1st MTT Win!

So, yesterday I finally got my first MTT win!

It was a $20+2 Omaha Hi/Lo on Party Poker and I came first out of 90 people for $504.


It didn't occur to me when I registered that I needed to go and pick up Ms Pink from work in a couple of hours - oops. So I started playing a little reclessly and suddenly found myself with a huge chips lead. At this point we were down to about 25 so I phoned the missus to let her know the predicament and promised to spend any winnings on her if she wouldn't mind getting the bus home!

My stack went up and down a little but I was in amongst the top three when we got down to the final table. Ms Pink arrived home when we were six handed. She peered over my shoulder to see how much I was going to be spending on her and exclaimed "What the hell? This isn't Holdem!"

I feel a bit cheap that my first MTT win wasn't at a game that I can claim to understand all that well, but what the hell, I still won!

It took a while for the three smaller stacks to bust out, but once one went the others folowed pretty quickly. I was second in chips once we were down to 3 but thankfully I was able to knock out the third position guy which lead to a very even start to the heads up match.

What I really enjoyed about this tournament was that at no point were the blinds too big is relationship to our stack sizes which allowed some decent poker to be played and I thought that worked a bit to my advantage.

I was being a bit outplayed heads up (or he was just getting good cards - one or the other!) and my chips were begining to dwindle but then I manged an all-in scoop with bottom set which gave me a 3-1 chip lead. He almost came all the way back to 50-50 but my straight held up on a paired board when he went all in - I'd done it!

It was a nice win, but I'd definately have swapped it for a bit better luck in last night's WPT qualifier. I'm pretty pissed off about that, but there's always Sunday to qualify annd I'm playing another sub-qualifyer for the limit tourney tonight, so who knows what might happen - I'll be sure to let you know!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home