Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Help! I'm A Fish

I did a bit of last minute Christmas shopping yesterday (didn't get it finished) while my better half was passing her driving thoery test (hurray!). While perusing the 'Bargain Bucket' of DVDs I came across two copies of a DVD, which - at £3.99 each - I could not fail to snaffle up. The DVD was entitled "Help! I'm a fish"!! I'm sure they will come in handy as booby prizes in some tournament or other and they looked really crap too - It appeared to be some cartoon movie about two city workers who were suddenly turned into fish (or maybe they just took a weekend break to Atlantic City, ha!).


Well it must have been fate, because I did a whole lot of money in the cash games at the Gutshot last night. I could have got away from top two pair when, on the botton, I was checkriased by the big blind and then check-re-raised by the next guy along. With no posiible stright or flush draws on the board it was fiarly obvious that he had a set, but I still called with top-two. I lost my next buy-in bluffing all-in on the flop with an open eneded stright draw. I thgouht the other guy could fold enough times to make it profitable play but he called with his over pair and I got no help fomr the last two cards. Things started to go a bit better and I won my first pot of the night after that! Then I picked up QQ in good position, I raised preflop and got one caller. The flop had staight possibilities so I bet the maximum; he called. The turn broguht a flush draw; again I bet the pot and this time he raised all-in for only about a quater of the pot more. I had to call, althoguh I was worried about two-pair or a straight. The river completed the flush draw and pair up the 9 that came on the flop. He turned over 97o for a dirty dirty river beat.

He beat me with 97 off!

Oh, the irony of it. 97o is the 'guest hand' that we all love to overplay at the University Poker Society Sessions. If it wasn't for the fact that I was now down £500 for the night I could have had a good laugh about it! The other, important point here is that these are the calls that one has to be very happy about - very reminiscent of Party Poker!

That was enough to put me on tilt and I lost the last few morcels of my third buy-in raising all-in with another opened ended flush draw. I, thankfully, ended up not having to show my cards and it looked s thought I'd taken another bad beat when he showed his turned two-pair.

YukertonMcYuk!

Right I now need to go and finish my Christmas shopping. I may not post again before Chirstmas so best wishes for all your festivities. I'm planning a big New Year's post reflecting on the last 9 months of my life and lokking forward to my first full yar of poker playing, so stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home