Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Monday, January 10, 2005

Time For Some Studying

Term starrts again at the end of this week and it would be a really good thing if I actually did some of the write up for my research project rather than play poker all day long! Once terms starts and the lectures and tutorials kick in there's not going to be alot of time for writing this bugger up so it would be a good idea to start now!

On the other hand there are a load of poker books which I want to read which I may very well have to order now my student loan has come in!


Just a quick updatre on my Party Poker Million Quest: I played in the last of the weekend's batch of semi-finals and again I got bumped fairly early on. I hit some big hands early on (AA twice and two sets) but got paid very little for them. I then lost a decent chunk when I raised with AK missed the flop, bet it anyway and then had to fold to a raise - I need to adjust the way I play AK, especially in tournaments. The table then went crazy. One guy had a VPIP% of 60 and a PFR% of 25%. He was bully the hell out of people, getting quite lucky and was amassing huge ammount of chips, but could I hit anything like a hand? You bet I couldn't!

The blinds increased and my stack dwindled, I hung on by stealing the blinds from time to time, but no sign of a double through. Eventually impatience and frustration got the better of me. Mr. Raise-a-lot made it 700 on my big blind of 300. I had about 1500 left (enough for a couple of rounds of waiting for a better opportunity) but I decided to push with KTs. He flipped up AK. Bleh.

Now to tell you about my new found addiction: Omaha Hi/Lo!

Since my MTT win at the $20 Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo on Party Poker I've been dabling with some limit cash games. Today I have mostly been playing the $10/20 game. Although it's slightly above my bankroll, I'm justifying it (at least to myself!) by the fact that the varience must be smaller because pots get split left right and centre. I know this logic is flawed, but any excuse to play at the higher limits!!

I think I'll buy myself a book - any recommendations? Should I learn more about Omaha first before delving into the world of split pots or are Omaha and Omaha Hi/Lo significantly different beasts that I can go straight into either - any advice on this would be most welcome.

Right, I now have to go and feed the cat beofre collecting Ms Pink and then burning some more Christmas Accumulations in the pool. Peace out.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there good blog:)Good thing they hadn't invented internet poker when I was at Oxford or I'd have no degree. I recommend reading the Ray Zee book on HiLo, its not a complete beginners book, but thats probably not what you are looking for. Also check out Steve Badgers site www.playwinningpoker.com I'm not the world's best player but if I try to think about one thing in split games its this 'always be looking for situation where you can scoop'. Also starting in LO8 you can't go far wrong if you are pretty tight with starting hands.

    For PLO and PLO8 my favourite games check out Dave D's blog //internetpokerpro.blogspot.com can't recommend it highly enough.

    good luck JM

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Pinky said…

    Thanks! I've ordered the Ray Zee book and I'll check out that blog too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home