Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Am I Better Because of Poker? - Career

I've been putting off writing about the effect of poker on my career somewhat. I have a sneaking suspicion about the conclusions I'll reach and don't really want to have to reach them, but let's see.

This is the second post in a series to address the impact of poker on my life. I'm assessing the following aspects:

Financial
Career
Hobbies
Physical Health
Intellectual
Psycological
Marital Relationship
Friendships

As I outlined in the previous post I discovered poker while I was still a student. At the time I was fairly dedicated to the idea of pursuing a career in medicine. It didn't take long for that to go out of the window as I became less interested in studying. That was reinforced when I did badly in finals and ended up with a 2:2 which, even if I'd have been inclined to carry on studying, would almost certainly have been insufficient to get into medicine.

The job I'm doing at the moment is the beginnings of a career that I'd been considering even when I first started thinking about medicine. I've never written about it and I'm going to keep it that way for now, but I don't think this post will suffer much from the omission.

There are two main questions that need answering: am I going to enjoy my current career path more than a career in medicine; and do I think that the continued presence of poker in my life will affect this career path?

Both are hard to asses and it may be hard to be honest, but it needs to be tried.

My current role is not the one I'm aiming for in the future (as is probably the case at the bottom of many ladders) so I can easily say that I'd rather be doing medicine right now. As far as my future enjoyment of this job goes compared with how much I would enjoy doing medicine, it is hard to say. Over the last few weeks I have been thinking more about the missed opportunities regarding medicine. I work very close to a hospital and only yesterday I saw an old friend of mine from secondary school, who I knew had studied medicine, walking down the road towards the hospital carrying a coffee and with a stethoscope around his neck and I looked on somewhat enviously. So if I'm honest I've been having some regrets about not pursuing medicine. There's no reason that I shouldn't be able to get as much satisfaction from my chosen career path, but I have been having doubts recently, be they well founded or not.

As for the effects of poker on my current career path, that's really going to depend on my ambition and determination. I don't think poker has held me back yet, but it certainly could and I've already seen evidence of that potential: I'm supposed to be learning Turkish and I went through a phase of a few months at the end of last year when I was working reasonably hard to that end, but I've let it slip this year and I quite possibly wouldn't have done so if I didn't play poker so much.

Overall it's a pretty hard one to call, but I'm certainly worried that my career and career prospects are worse off because of poker. It's probably too early to tell. I must just ensure that I keep things in balance and dont let poker totally take over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home