Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

A New Me...

...well, kind of!

After a week of serious slacking and doing absolutely nothing towards my research project, I've now got my head together and gathered up some serious motivation. I have only a few weeks left to finish it off so it's time for poker to take the back burner.

I played a fair bit of poker last week when I wasn't too busy being a slacker and was able to extract myself from the rut that had been forming. I played mostly on Party Poker's $2/4 NL tables and a bit of $5/10 limit on the '6-max' tables. Things went well, which is probably one of the reasons I was finding it hard to get my arse in gear to go into the lab and do some work!

Things came to a peak on friday afternoon when the college football (soccer) team that I play for got its first win of the seaon! Woohoo

Then it kind of hit me that I hadn't done any science all week and that I only had a matter of weeks left before I had to be finished. Oops. I decided that I would use the weekend to get my head together and by Monday I would be ready to nail it.

Friday night I went to play in the little home game that we've started up this term. It a £5 buy-in NL game with 5p/10p blinds. It's good fun and I usually come out with about £10 or so extra. That night was pretty frustating. I finished exactly even, but I'd been in mood ever since this one guy limped and called all the way with QQ because he was too busy rolling a cigarette! I had AJ on the big blind. I raised his limp and then bet out a Jack high flop after he checked it too me. He called and then on the turn I made a similar sized bet which set him all in.... I was pretty disgruntled after that!

Saturday was a poker free day. I played football in the morning (and lost!) and then went into London in the afternoon to see a show and eat pasta in Carluccio's, which is easily the best Italian, EVER!

Sunday was pretty much all poker. The University Poker Society was having it's big termly event. There was a dealer's choice freeroll, which I missed in lieu of an extra long lie in and a lazy breakfast. I rocked up in the early afternoon to play in the £10 double chance tournament which then turned into a pretty enjoyable cash game. I busted out mid way in the tournament and finished about even in the cash game, but it was an enjoyable session.

On Monday morning, I woke up as a new man. I have been busy being a scientist since then.

The "...well, kind of" remark at the top refers to a couple of things (wait for it...!) We had a football match on Monday afternoon - which we lost, by the way - so I ended up with a bit of free time away from the lab. Well, folowing last weeks sucess I figured I should probably play some $15/30. Thankfully it went extreemly well. Well enough, in fact that I was able to draw a metaphorical line under the session, cash out my winnings for the last 10 days and go back to being a scientist the following morning.


And they all lived happily ever after, THE END.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Ooh, Gravy! said…

    Do some work you useless slacker!

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Pinky said…

    Thanks for dropping by, Gravy. You'll be please to hear I've been working very hard this week!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home