Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Monday, January 17, 2005

Dealer's Choice Crazyness

For some reason the University Poker Society hadn't got it's arse in gear to organise a meeting for the first Sunday of term, which is a shame because I'm sure there are pleanty of fish who got chip sets for Christmas and are itching to play some cards. Instead a few of the more hardened players agreed to meet last night as we had been doing after term had finished when there were still some of us hanging around in Oxford.


There were only 6 of us and we started the evening playing 10p/20p NL holdem; most of us bought in for an initial £20. Within a couple of hours there was about £300 at the table and a couple of hours after that we were playing PL dealers cioce.

Things started relatively sensibly with simple games such as Omaha Hi/lo, Draw Dueces Wild and 3-Card Irish. It didn't take long to degrenerate into complete chaos. 6 and 8-Card Omaha Hi/Lo were among the favorites as was a newly invented version of 4-Card Irish: 4 cards are dealt to each player and there's a round of betting based on those. Then each player picks - at random - a card from the player on their right and there's another round of beting. Then the flop. After the flop betting each player discards two hole cards and the game continues as Holdem.

The last hand of the night was 10-Card Omaha Hi/Lo! That's right - each of us received 10 holde cards from which we had to pick two to make our best Hi hand and two to make our best low hand. It was bound to end in tears.

Thankfully no egit decided to raise preflop and I was pleasently surprised to see the flop of 8TJ (rainbow) since I held Q9 (and a few other cards!). I was first to act and raised the pot. The pot got reraised behind me and in a moment of complete stupidity I re-raised the pot. If I'd have thought for even half a second it would have been obvious that the other guy also had Q9. I had virtually no redraws. I had a K so I could imrpove my hand if an Ace came but other than that I had nothing. It would have been so easy for him to have two pair or a set as well as the straight. He called, the turn was a 5 and it completed the rainbow. I checked and he bet the pot. After a minuted or so of bitching and whining I decded to call. Even if he had some kind of two pair or set, I should still hope to split the pot most of the time and if an Ace came then I'd have a reasonable chance of scooping. The river was a beautful gleaming Ace.

But wait, I'd completely forgotten about the Low hand. SHIT! I did have a low hand but with only 26 it wasn't looking too good. He did indeed have a reasonable low hand (24) but - thank god - he only had Q9 for a lower straight that me. It turned out that he didn't have any draws to the full house, but if any low card other than and Ace had came on the ricer, I would have been quartered! Phew.

I got back my half of the £120 pot. Lesson learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home