Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Friday, March 04, 2005

Student Survey

I've just filled in a survey about online poker playing amongst students. It was a bit of an eye opener. If you're a student a playing online poker I'd recommend giving a few minutes to it.

I definately dont think that I have a 'gambling problem', although I'll conceed that playing poker had definately caused me some problems (mostly degree related). I found the fact that I answered yes to all of the following questions slightly concerning:

As your Online Poker playing progressed did you ever:

1. Become more and more preoccupied with reliving past gambling experiences, studying a gambling system, planning the next venture, or thinking of ways to get money? Yes but that's cruital to improving one's game. Although more worryingly I was less concered with money in general before I started playing poker.

2. Need to gamble with more and more money in order to achieve the desired level of excitement? Yes and no. But mostly yes. It's probably at the root of why I find it hard no to play within my bankroll having spend a reasonable ammount of time at $15/30.

3. Become restless or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop gambling?
Yes, but I always feel like that when I go into a library

4. Gamble as a way of escaping problems or intolerable feeling states? Yes, studying Biochemistry is an intolerable feeling state!

5. After losing money gambling, try another day to get even (chasing one's losses)? Othwise Know as TILT

6. Lie to family, employer or therapist to protect or conceal the extent of your involvement with gambling? I dont think my Mum knows and since telling the in-laws over Christmas we're definately keeping it under wraps

7. Jeopardise or lost a significant relationship, marriage, education, job or career because of gambling? Umm, see the description of this blog!

At least I answered no to these two:

8. Commit illegal acts such as forgery, fraud, or embezzlement, in order to finance gambling? No.

9. Have repeated unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop gambling? No, I've just accepted the fac that poker is here to stay!

I've been meaning to re-evaluate my motivations for playing poker and my long term expectations, but I think that post will have to wait until after Easter. In the meantime this survey has given me some good food for thought.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pinky,
    you've been a very naughty boy! why didn't you tell me about your poker habit? when i next see you you're going to get a firm smack across the buttocks!

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Pinky said…

    Eeeek!

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually Phil, Pinky's mum doesn't call him Pinky. She calls him Andrew.

     
  • At 12:25 AM, Blogger Ooh, Gravy! said…

    I think you're wrong about point 5 Pinky. TILT is when you try to recoup your losses during the same session/period_of_time when you are more than likely playing without your head on straight due to compulsive banging on the wall.

    Playing the next day to win back the losses, hell, that's just going to work!

    :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home