Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Final Countdown

I'm currently sitting in the lab that I did my research project in pouring over a final draft of my write-up. How I got here I really dont know. I'm reasonably happy with it - I'm basically just waiting for some other guy to read over it so I can make the last few changes and get the bugger turned in...


It's titled "The Characterisation of ORF4, a novel protein from the SARS Coronavirus". Sounds fun doesn't it! It doesn't really show anything interesting, but hopefully it should get me a few of the marks I'm desperately trying to accumulate this ear in order not to leave with a crappy degree class.

With any luck I'll get it bound and submitted by the end of the afternoon, therefore allowing me to go and drink copious quantities of Guinness in honour of St. Patrick.

It's odd how much of a party St. Patrick's day is becoming in England. Obviously there are a reasonable number of Irish folk over here, but it's generally an excuse for English Egits to get mullered and wear silly Guiness parafanalia. I have no Irish blood in me what-so-ever and yet I'll be going out and joining in with the festivities. St. George's day, on the other hand, passes with very little comotion and I couldn't even tell you when St. David's Day or St. Andrew's Day were.

The problem with showing any patriotism towards England is that you automatically find yourself associated with the likes of the British National Party or similar minded individuals. Ok so I am a big shaven haired soccer fan, but that's about where my right wing similarities end! If there's a big international soccer or rugby match I have no problem in feeling patriotic, but at any other time of the year if you see someone displaying the Union Jack you're more likely to assume that they're a rasist than a patriot. This is a shame. It would be nice to be able to celebrate being English in the same way that the Irish celebrate being Irish, the Scots celebrate being Scottish or the Welsh celebrate being Welsh, without worriying about felling like some kind of neo-nazi.

I was happy last night to find that despite cashing out my bankroll to take with me to the States, I'd left $50 in my Paradise account. I hadn't played any poker for over a week, and it felt good! Bring on Atlantic City.

This forthcoming trip to the US is going to be a lot of fun, but it'll be the longest time I've spent away from MissPink since we got together over 3 years ago. I went away skiing for a week only a couple of months into our relationship, but the longest we've been apart since then is two nights. This time I'm going away for two weeks and I'd imagine it'll be pretty tough. At least I'll have pleanty to keep me occupied: althought she's going to Cyprus for a week with her family, she'll be back at work for the last week which'll be a tad crap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home