Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Office Hell

I'm seriously considering quitting this job. It's doing my nut in. I'm actually surprised that I've been able to stick at it for almost 6 weeks.

I finally ordered a new computer yesterday so I can start playing at home again rather than spending the early evening in scrotty internet cafes, squeezed into tiny bays next to the great unwashed or loud wanna-be-rude-boys from the estate over the road, who spend more time in there than I do, all playing shitty fantasy games with god-awful graphics.

In case my tone hadn't alerted you, I haven't been in the best of mood over the last couple of days. My apologies for dragging you down with me, but this rant may make me feel better.

The prospect of having a computer at home has gone some way to catalyse my desire to leave this job. Not being restricted by the opening hours of the internet cafe makes playing for a living more feasible, but it's still too much of a risk for me to be taking at the moment so I'm gonna have to try and stick this out for at least a few more weeks while I try and grow my bankroll to a safer level.

I'm back playing on Will Hill and it's going reasonably well so far. The play is notably worse than on Stars and I'm reasonably on top of my game at the moment. I'm playing on the £100 or $200 buy-in tables, but I've only got 10 full buy-ins at that level which is about half as many as I'd like to have to feel comfortable.

----------------------------------

There's been a lot of talk recently about the future of the Gutshot and other UK cardrooms indirectly. This article on the Times Online outlines what's been going on. I don't think that they'll have any problem showing that poker is a game of skill, but they may be on thinner ice with regards too operatingg as a non-profit making member's club:

Mr Kelly argues that as a non-profit-making members' club, Gutshot is simply providing a service to its members and that any money made is returned to the committee, which, in turn, gives it to the members at its discretion.

I'm not sure that, as a member of the Gutshot, I've ever seen any of this money and I'd be surprised if the only profit made comes from the Gutshot's online cardroom, but I'd also be surprised if the oweners were stupid enough to have contraviened any laws so blatently. It should be obvious that I don't really know what I'm talking about, but in summary, it's my guess that they'll get off; I was playing at the same table as Barry (co-owner) recently and he didn't seem too concerned about the upcoming court proceedings.

---------------------------

I've been very dissatisfied of late with the quality of posating on this blog, having read back to earlier posts. I hope to be coming back with some better stuff soon and in the meantime here's hoping I dont loose my head and quit my job!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pinky, why can't more sites be as good as yours!!! You see I am changing my life at the moment and I have decided to start a work from home in the uk site. I am trying to get inspiration so I can become easier to talk to. You site has given me some ideas. I talk to a wide range of people and I need to relate to everyone I come across so thanks for your posts! The title 'this post' caught my eye so I thought I'd post on this one. Cheers.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Pinky said…

    why you cheeky spam-filter-avoider

     

Post a Comment

<< Home