Fish and Chips

A poker themed blog, charting the demise of my degree and the rise of my poker career.


Play Online Poker

Friday, May 19, 2006

21 Questions

Uber-thanks to TripJax for producing these set of questions. Rather like a paint-by-numbers post-template:

1. What is the biggest mistake people make at a NL table?
Calling too much (especially out of position). Raise or fold, baby.

2. What is the biggest mistake people make at a Limit table?
Hmm, it's been a long time since I've player limit poker. My guess here would be not value betting the river enough.

3. Why do you play poker?
How long have you got? In short:
50% The desire to be better than eveyone else
40% Finantial
10% Social (I wish this were higher but I rarely play live)

4. If you weren't playing poker, what would you be doing?
Possibly studying medicine. Maybe playing more sport and music.

5. What is your favorite poker book and why?
Harrington Volume 1. This book really helped me with my NL cash, funnily enough. Both volumes are gold dust as far as tournaments are concerned, but since my bread and butter is NL cash I have to favour volume 1 for the difference it made to my earn rate.

6. Who is your favorite poker player and why?
Phil Ivey. I. Wish. I. Could. Be. Like. Him. He's so cool and collected - the perfect poker face.

7. Which poker player do you dislike the most and why?
Hmm, difficult. I dislike all poker players who bitch and moan, both about beats and about other poker players, so by answering this question I'm falling into that catagory. I also dislike arrogance. No comment.

8. Do your coworkers know about your blog?
You're having a laugh? Not in a million years. It's a damn shame that they can't be truested, but that's the way it is.

9. What is the most you have won in a cash game or MTT (both live and online)?
Cash: Online: $1,400 on the $1-2 NL tables. Live: £300 in the Gutshot £1-2 PL game.

Tourney: Online $3,600 for a 3rd place finish in the Party two-table steps tournaments shortly after they first launched them. Live several £250ish finishes in Gutshot tournaments.

10. What is the most you have lost in a cash game or in one day total (both live and online)?
Online: $1,400 on the $1-2 NL tables.
Live: £600 in the Gutshot £1-2 PL game.

11. Who was your first poker blog read?
Iggy, who else.

12. What satisfies you more, your aces holding up for a big pot or a bluff working for a big pot?
I love it when a really well thought out bluff against a better opponent works out.

13. Why do you blog?
It started off as a means of chronicaling the demise off my degree as I rapidly got sucked into the poker whirlpool and carried on as I gradually learnt to keep my head above water. Mostly I blog now just to keep the thing running. This blog is as boring as stink, but I hate giving up. Maybe I'll come up with some interesting content at some point this year!

14. Do you read blogs from an RSS reader like bloglines or do you visit each blog?
Bloglines is the way forward. If I like the layout of a particular blog or if I want to comment then I'll visit it directly from bloglines.

15. Would you rather play poker for a living than do what you currently do for a living?
I gave up playing poker for a living to take my current job. That's a bit of a lie really, since I'd have been much less likely to start playing poker for a living if I didn't know that my current job wasn't far round the corner. I have occasional dreams about playing on the tournament circuit, but I'm happy in my new job and I'm definately doing the right thing.

16. Do you wear a tin foil hat on occasion?
Am I superstisious, is that? No, abosolutely not. Superstisions irritate me almost as much as religions.

17. If you had to pin it down to one specific trait, what does a great poker player have (or do) that separates them from an average player?
The disiplin to be able to play through the bad patches without tilting is what seperates a professional from anyone else, but the truely great poker players have even more; their thinking is just on another plane all together.

18. Is Drizz the coolest person on the planet for naming his baby Vegas?
Umm, is that true? Seriously? Umm, No. Drizz posts like a machiene and unfortunately if you post more than three times a week I'm unlikely to be able to keep up with you on bloglines so I mostly miss the goings on in the life of Drizz, but I can only hope that Drizz's kid has got some other names that he/she can use instead!

19. What is your primary poker goal and are you close to accomplishing it?
Current goal is to get the bankroll to $10,000 by the end of the year. That should happen as long as I stop playing turbo SNGs. I want to be playing the $5-10 NL tables by next years WSOP so that even if I dont qualify for the main event I can go and play in large lucrative cash games and afford some of the smaller events.

20. What is your primary online site and why?
PokerStars - bloody marvelous. Great sofware, great customer-support and very good traffic.

21. What site do you dislike and why?
Of the sites that I play on, Party is my least favoyrite. Their software and customer support stink.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home